Perennials, poison plants wildflowers
All parts of this plant are poisonous if eaten or by touching the milky sap. Symptoms include nausea and or vomiting if ingested and redness, or blisters after a short delay when touched. Causes low toxicity if eaten and the skin irritation is minor, only lasting a few minutes.
½ to 3 feet
Early Summer to early Fall
Meadows, grasslands, garden beds
USDA hardiness zone 4-8
Best grown by seeds
Mesic to dry soil. Will tolerate loam, clay, or sandy soil.
Mountains, Piedmont Coastal Plain
United States, North Carolina
Page by Tracie Bowers EMGV